Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How To Sew, Be Earth Friendly, And Save Money

There are so many ways to sew, be Earth friendly and save money at the same time! Mending and altering items which otherwise might go in the trash. Quilting with all the scraps saved from other projects or discarded clothing and curtains. Create something wonderful out of fabric that might go to waste. I use old clothes, unsuitable for quilts, to wipe up spills instead of paper towels. Make your own cloth napkins out of 12"-18" squares hemmed on all sides. I find that cotton in a medium to dark print works best to hide spaghetti stains! Make a canvas shopping bag from a simple pattern and use it when you go to the store. I have four I take to the grocery store and others in the car and in my purse just in case. Remake clothes, that are no longer being worn, into purses using my instruction booklets available at http://catsongstitchery.etsy.com . Give pants and sweaters new life. I even made an autoharp case out of my living room curtains. Make reusable gift bags out of pretty blouses, skirts or t-shirts. Cut 2 squares or rectangles- larger than the gift. Sew right sides together on 3 sides. Hem the opening and tie with a ribbon. It is that easy! Buy recycled fabric and organic whenever possible. It is starting to show up more in stores. Get creative- keep the earth in mind and save money too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!